Before posting anywhere, please take the time to read this article
on How to ask
questions the smart way (Note they do NOT provide support, just
guidelines on how to ask questions/get support and get the best
responses). Then follow the steps described below:
- Start with the following items. If you leave them out, we will have to ask
and it will delay getting to a solution for you. dotamatic supports multiple
operating systems, printers, and image types and they all affect issues you may have.
- Which version of dotamatic you are using
- What operating system you are using
- Make notes
- You will need to gather information as described in the following points.
The most important notes to start with are a description of what happened and a
description of what you expected to happen.
- What set of steps did you take
- Work out the set of steps you did. This is to enable others to do the same
set of steps in order to reproduce your problem.
- Is it repeatable?
- Does the problem happen everytime. If it does, it is far easier to track down
the cause and fix. Even if it isn't repeatable, there may be enough information
from the previous steps to diagnose and fix it.
- What have you tried?
- In your attempts to fix the issue, what have you already tried, and what
Where to make your request
You should check the archives to see if your problem has already
been reported and solved.
dotamatic Mailing list
You can post about your problem to the dotamatic-user
mailing list. This is read and responded to by a wide variety of dotamatic users and
developers, and you will get rapid responses. Please use this list for issues with
Do not do any of the following. It takes up lots of other people's valuable time,
and often annoys them. If you do any of them, you will likely just be ignored.
- Mail individual developers
- If the developer responds, the answer won't appear in any archives and so
won't help other users. Other users won't be able to comment on the issue
such as workarounds they have discovered or indications if the issue is unique
to your configuration or affects everyone. Additionally the developers schedule
their time carefully so your answer is unlikely to be timely anyway.
- Mail/post in multiple locations
- Some people think they will get quicker answers by posting to mailing lists,
filling out SourceForge tracker items, and emailing individual developers. I
can assure you that noone wants to answer/address the same issue two or more times.
And if you are seen posting the same thing in more than one location, the people who
can answer will wait a long time to ensure you aren't also posting in others (remember
they usually participate in multiple locations as well).
- Be impatient
- Some people seem to get upset if their issues are not answered immediately.
Remember that other people have their own lives and responsibilities and contribute
as their own schedules and priorities allow. If you have given a detailed report,
they may be doing research. After all, a good question deserves a good answer.
- Post no information
- One report consisted of "When I run it, nothing happens".
dotamatic does fundamentally work. There may be some issues
but we don't release software that just doesn't work. Furthermore not giving any information
at all about what actually happened means noone can help. Follow the
steps at the top of this page.
- Ignoring archives
- Many questions have already been asked and answered (multiple times). Check the archives!
Up: About dotamatic
dotamatic 0.2 10 April 2004